Halawa Valley Heiau

Enchantment. Ever green forest. Lilikois. Hawaiian Culture. Those are the four words that I echo in my head when I thought about the Halawa Valley Heiau. Halawa Valley Heiau is a small reserved land under the H-3  freeway. Back when the freeway was being built, the Hawaiians did all they could to preserve their land; a land where there were burials, births, and a place for sacred prayers. The construction of the H-3 demolished the valley, while the Hawaiians did whatever they could do to save the land. They would walk through the river upstream every morning at 4am just to protest for their beloved land; they were thrown into jail a few times but, they didn’t care. They wanted the medias attention to express the importance of the sacred land. I am not be Hawaiian but knowing how the industrialization of a simple freeway in which we constantly drive over just to get over to the Windward side had hurt the culture of Hawaii. The tour guide expressed how he despised the freeway but who can blame him? His culture was ruined by the construction. His culture was taken away with force, without any knowledge of the sacred land, construction workers mysteriously began to die. The Hawaiian’s believe that the God Ka, could not be wrecked with. The land possess many spirits from birth, to death. The burial grave, the birth stone, the stone to which you may touch if you are having trouble being fertile, or the honu’s eye; the protector and guider of the sea, and of course, the pueo: The owl that watches over the sacred heiau.

This was a wonderful experience, getting to know about the land, and the small hide aways this island has. Although I did not enjoy the weed pulling and rock moving, it did however make me feel apart of the land just a little bit more. To understand a culture you must endure. To live a culture is another store. I may not know how it feels to be so closely related to the Hawaiian ways, but I imagine how it might feel if something I loved the most, was stripped from the heart. Please understand that all cultures had their struggles in a point of history. Understand that some may still be suffering. the only think that you can try to do is give back!!!!

2 Responses to “Halawa Valley Heiau”

1.   Artie Says:

A bit surprised it seems to silpme and yet useful.

2.   jv Says:

love, the name of the god is Kū. Ran into your site while doing some background research for the place. hahaha My bad for sticking my nose in, but no can help.