Easy to get fit at CUH

February 16, 2012 | 4 Comments

It is incredibly difficult to be healthy in college, well, for me anyway. With working and homework and being totally exhausted, it is so hard for me to find time to make a better ME. You know what people call that? EXCUSES!

Recently, I have realized that my health is very important. My doctor told me that I am at the age where women gain weight in preparation for childbirth. Even if I am in nooooooo wayyyyyyyy at that stage in my life mentally, my body is physically! I have decided to take responsibility for myself and try to have a healthier lifestyle.

One of the ways I have decided to be healthier is to visit the gym whenever I can. The Carlson Fitness Center on campus has been my lifesaver! I do not have to pay those enormous gym fees and I can just walk right over after class and get my run on. The elliptical is my absolute fave and I can run on that thing forever! There are always friendly familiar faces there if I ever need help with the weights, too. I can’t believe I hadn’t gone there since freshman year!

Another huge way I have decided to change my lifestyle has been to eat healthier. Whole Foods Market in Kahala is only about 10 minutes away from my dorm and they have everything I could ever need to improve my diet. Most people think that it is very pricey to shop there, but for most of their products, they have a store brand option that isn’t so bad on my wallet at all! I took a trip there today and just being in there made me so much more motivated to eat better. For lunch I had a whole wheat spinach and garlic pizza slice and it was AMAZING. I also made my own salad creation from the salad bar for my dinner at work tonight.

I have come to understand that in order for me to feel better mentally and physically, I need to treat my body like a temple. Getting exercise and eating better makes me feel so much better about myself. Thank goodness for a gym and market so close in proximity that makes improving my body and mind so much easier!

4 Comments so far

1.    admin on February 17, 2012 4:30 pm      

Chels, thanks for the reminder to stay fit!

2.    Chardonnay on February 20, 2012 12:05 pm      

College student diet includes: packaged noodles, monster and rockstar energy drinks, and whatever CUH has for free at events. Haha.

3.    raynette quel on February 23, 2012 7:02 am      

Great post. What your doctor said about our bodies (women) gaining wait to prepare us for having babies was very interesting…. is that what I can blame for all my college weight gain? lol. My body must be preparing me for triplets… or something like that. LOL.Thanks for another excuse I can use.

But on the real, you bring up interesting and true topics. We should totally treat our bodies like temples.

Try yoga if you haven’t, it’s AH-mazing.

4.    chelsea on February 24, 2012 8:38 pm      

I’ve been wanting to try yoga! Next week I am going to try the Insanity workout, so we’ll see how that goes! LOL

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind