HONOLULU /WAIMEA, HAWAII –January 5, 2015– Kanu O Ka ‘Āina Learning ‘Ohana in partnership with Chaminade University of Honolulu announces a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership for charter school administrators. The program is focused on the acquisition of leadership skills in financial management, education law, managerial communications, personnel issues, effective decision-making and group dynamics.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the impact of socio-economic, legal and cultural factors on schools, teachers and students.
- Demonstrate knowledge of organizational life in schools and organizational change process, and connections to the development of positive school cultures that promote learning and social development of students.
- Demonstrate ability to conduct systematic inquires into programs and policies that are relevant, integral and essential to the success of children, schools and school leaders.
- Develop skills in facilitating collaboration and communication among schools, school communities, families, other educational and services agencies and professional organizations.
- Develop knowledge and skills in managing personnel.
- Demonstrate understanding of the ethical, moral and caring dimensions of educational leadership.
- Demonstrate ability to use informed scholarship to analyze and offer solutions for school policies and problems.
Hawaii cultural awareness is the context of the courses and a significant part of the cohort work will include a Hawaiian cultural thread that demonstrates Education with Aloha. Education with Aloha balances culturally sensitive approaches to leadership with the latest in education theory and technology. Grounded in the wisdom of the ancestors, Education with Aloha strives for an atmosphere of care and congeniality permeating through the entire learning ‘ohana.
Admission preference will be given to persons who are highly recommended by school administration and governing boards as potential leadership candidates in the Hawaiian education community. Interested students may contact Allan Nebrija, advising director for Chaminade University Education Division, at email@example.com or (808) 739-4684.
Kanu o ka ‘Āina Learning ‘Ohana (KALO) is a nonprofit educational organization based in Waimea that assists statewide with Hawaiian-focus education. Incorporated in 2000 as a Native Hawaiian nonprofit, KALO and its partners are working to establish an autonomous, holistic education environment for the children of Hawaiʻi: grounding every child and adult in the values that have shaped and empowered Hawaiians for generations, involving every member of the community in determining his/her education path and preparing every child of Hawai‘i to thrive in the modern world, free from oppression and with pride for our heritage. Serving and perpetuating sustainable Hawaiian communities through Education with Aloha. Learn more at KALO.org
Educating students for life, service and successful careers, Chaminade University of Honolulu is a Catholic/ Marianist university offering programs of study grounded in the liberal arts with day, evening, online and accelerated courses. A Native Hawaiian serving institution, Chaminade is located at 3140 Waialae Ave., Honolulu, HI 96816. For more information, visit the Chaminade Web site at www.chaminade.edu or call (808) 735-4711. ###
CHAMINADE MEDIA CONTACT: